Here are some tips to make your trip more enjoyable:
- Use a GPS system, or mobile applications like Google Maps or Waze, which will give you real-time turn-by-turn directions, estimated driving times, or alternative routes to avoid heavy traffic areas.
- Leave earlier than you think. It’s always better to be early, than to be late and miss your reservation. Some experiences are time-sensitive, and will have to start on-time.
- If staying in the southern part of the Napa Valley (City of Napa), head up-valley first, visit the Chateau, and work your way back down throughout the day.
- If staying up-valley, head down valley first, and work your way back to the top as your day progresses.
- If you are driving from the San Francisco or Santa Rosa area, we recommend using HWY 101, and using exit 494 for River Road. Continue onto Mark West Springs Rd, and turn left onto Petrified Forest Rd. This will put you right into Calistoga, at the top of the Napa Valley.
- If you are visiting from the Sacramento area, we recommend taking I-5 South to exit 548. Merge onto HWY 505 south, and take exit 11 for CA-128 W towards Winters/Davis. Make a right onto Silverado Trail and follow north up to Calistoga.
During heavy tourism months, traffic can be a challenge when visiting Chateau Montelena. In addition, Napa County is making various upgrades to our highways and roadways, which can also affect your drive up-valley. Use this Google Map generator below to input your starting address, and get recommended turn by turn directions that will include an estimated drive time based on current traffic patterns.