Wild Mushroom Pasta with 2013 Napa Valley Petite Sirah
Wild Mushroom Pasta
From the kitchen of our very own Club Wine Educator, Ari Spiewak: [email protected]
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, cleaned and sliced (cremini, king trumpet, maitake, chanterelle, and porcini are good options)
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Black pepper, finely ground
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat and salt generously. Add the pasta and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender and brown, about 10 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the heavy cream and bring to a rapid simmer. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to release any delicious browned bits.
- Cook the pasta until almost al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Strain the pasta and add it to the mushroom skillet. Stir to combine. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano, salt, and black pepper. Gently stir. Place on a serving platter, top with chives and more Parmigiano Reggiano. Serve immediately.
Enjoy with a bottle of our 2013 Napa Valley Petite Sirah.