Pomegranate Lamb Chops with Hunan Style Eggplant and 2012 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Pomegranate Lamb Chops with Hunan Style Eggplant
From the kitchen of our very own Club Wine Educator, Ari Spiewak: [email protected]
INGREDIENTS & PREPARATION
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/3 cup pomegranate molasses
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 racks of lamb, trimmed, frenched, and cut into double chops
- 1 1/2 lb. eggplant, thickly sliced, unpeeled
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, grated
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic paste
- 3 tablespoons chili black bean sauce
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely sliced
- Pomegranate arils, for garnish
- In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, pomegranate molasses, mint, rosemary, salt and pepper. Rub into the lamb chops and marinade for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to cook the lamb, let the meat sit out at room temperature for 25 minutes before grilling. Heat the grill to medium high heat. Alternatively, you can use a cast iron grill pan.
- While the grill is heating up, prepare the eggplant. In a bowl, mix the chili black bean sauce, Shaoxing rice wine, rice wine vinegar, dark soy sauce, and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat with 4 tablespoons of peanut oil. Add the eggplant and stir fry until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and chili paste and cook for 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the sauce and cook until the eggplant absorbs most of the sauce, 2-3 minutes. Stir in sesame oil and scallions. Set aside in a warm place until the lamb is ready.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and shake off the excess liquid. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and grill the chops over medium high heat, turning often to prevent burning. The ideal lamb would be lightly charred and medium rare, roughly 4-6 minutes. Set aside in a warm place to rest for 5 minutes until serving.
Place a few slices of eggplant on the plate. Place two lamb chops on top and garnish with the pomegranate arils. Enjoy with a bottle of our 2012 Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon.
Chef’s Note: Pomegranate molasses can be a difficult ingredient to find. You can make pomegranate molasses at home by slowly reducing 4 cups pomegranate juice and 1/4 cup of sugar until it is thick like a syrup, roughly 70 minutes. This should yield 1 cup of pomegranate molasses.