Keep Warm This Winter with our Featured Recipe
Hoisin-Glazed Pork Belly and Five Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes
From the kitchen of our very own Harvest Chef, Anne-Marie Pleskaczewski: [email protected]
INGREDIENTS & PREPARATION
Hoisin-Glazed Pork Belly:
- 2 lbs pork belly
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Pat the pork dry and score the skin.
- Mix brown sugar with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on both sides of meat. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except for chicken stock, and add the seasoned meat. Marinate for one hour, then remove meat and reserve marinade.
- Sear meat in a heavy pan on both sides. Cover with stock about halfway up and place lid on pan.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until tender. While cooking, check every 30 minutes for liquid level and add as needed.
- Heat reserved marinade on a stove top until slightly thickened. Place tender pork on a broiler safe pan. Brush with glaze and broil for 5 to 10 minutes.
Five Spice Sweet Mashed Potatoes:
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Once the meat has been in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours, place sweet potatoes on a pan and place in the oven until fork tender (about 1 hour).
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, peel potatoes while still warm and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Place prepared potatoes with remaining ingredients in food processor. Pulse until smooth and set aside in a warm location.
Assemble your dish by serving the finished pork belly alongside the five spice sweet mashed potatoes. Need some greens? Add green beans to the menu by sautéing them in black bean sauce and ginger.
Enjoy with a magnum of our 2013 Montelena Estate Zinfandel.