Oh, how we love the 2011 Chateau Montelena Potter Valley Riesling with Asian cuisine! The traditional sweet and spicy flavors in Thai sweet chili sauces, along with a smidge of Sriracha hot sauce, provide a perfect dipping companion to this easy Tofu Tempura dish! The irresistable floral notes and bright acidity of our Potter Valley Riesling compliment the rich taste and texture of any tempura.
- (14-ounce) package water-packed firm tofu, drained
- 4 cups (1 quart) safflower oil or peanut oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups club soda, chilled
- ¾ cup prepared sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha , or to taste
- Slice block of tempura into thirds. Place tofu slices on several layers of paper towels; cover with paper towels. Top with a heavy skillet; let stand 30 minutes. Discard paper towels. Cut each tofu slice into bite size cubes. Hold at room temperature on paper towels while oil is heating.
- Clip a candy/fry thermometer onto the side of a medium deep skillet or large (2 quart) saucepan; add oil to pan. Heat oil to 380°.
- Combine flour, cornstarch, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Gradually add club soda, stirring until smooth. Using a slotted spoon, OR long chopsticks,dip tofu in batter. Gently place tofu in hot oil, and fry 1 minute or until golden, turning once. Fry cubes in small batches; do not crowd pan. Remove each batch of fried tofu with clean slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Make sure oil temperature remains at 375° to 380° during each batch.
- Plate with dipping sauce, and serve. (Keep tempura warm in oven for up to 20 minutes before serving.)