Category Archives: Food
For me I like it with an Irish beef stew. But will always go for a glass on its own. What is your great pairing with this wine?
Ever heard of the Dog Patch District in San Francisco? It’s an up-and-coming neighborhood just minutes south of the Giants ballpark. This used to be the neighborhood of shipping commerce, canners, butchers…. and the story goes, homeless dogs roamed these parts in search of scraps. Well, that’s what I’m told. Today, it’s a part of SF’s resurgent urban development with loft condos, bay view offices, and restaurants. Not to miss on the corner of 3rd and 18th is a small, unassuming Sushi Restaurant called Moshi Moshi. And yes, the freshness and variety of their sushi is really second to none, especially when you consider the reasonable prices. If you’re not a sushi eater, their broths for any of the noodle soup dishes are made on premise, with such perfection it’s hard to pass that up on a “cold Summer day” in San Francisco. Do yourself a favor and stop in.
And shameless plug: have a glass of our Zin or Riesling, which they serve there by the glass! There’s a reason why we targeted this restaurant to carry our wine: so we can go there!!
Have you ever wanted to taste the wines that we make just for the fun of it? Now you can. The winery will host a first-of-its-kind party called Franc&Blanc on Saturday, June 25, 2011 from 3:00 to 7:00 pm where we’ll be pouring two of our limited-production wines – Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc – along with other wines such as our Estate Cabernet Sauvignon and Napa Valley Chardonnay. There may even be a few other surprise wines here and there.
We’ll have a DJ, food trucks providing plenty of bites that pair with the wines, barrel tasting, a photobooth, vineyard tours, wine classes, games and prizes and much, much more! The Montelena Family will be there too (because we love a great party) and we’re closing the winery down just for this special event.
Tickets are on sale now for general admission and VIP (*note that VIP tickets include transportation to/from the winery and access to a private VIP lounge). Come and join us and declare your preference by wearing red (franc) or white (blanc).
We just finished enjoying a scrumptious Irish feast, prepared by our talented Chef Britny: corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and soda bread. Then we topped off the afternoon with a deliciously rich and moist Guinness cake. Isn’t dessert the best part of every meal?
From all of us at Team Montelena, we wish you a very happy St. Patty’s Day! How will you be celebrating the luck of the Irish today?
Are you a CellarMaster member? If so, here is an additional benefit that you might not be aware of when visiting the tasting room – specialized tasting catered to club members and their guests only. Enjoy your tasting of library wines and an exclusive club wine with other club members in a private setting. All paired with bite size food, (cheese and charcuterie).
These tastings are by appointment only and are offered Thursday through Sunday. Please contact one of our Club representatives at 800-222-7288 or email: email@example.com, for more information or to reserve your spot.
A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to cook up a big pot of Louisiana Gumbo for a wine-industry get together we hosted a Montelena. And, since then, I’ve had quite a few people ask for the recipe. When people ask for the recipe, however, my gut instinct tells me that I shouldn’t give it out…Louisiana cooking, especially Gumbo, doesn’t have a recipe. You just use what you have around and it comes out different every time. But, for those who didn’t grow up eating gumbo and tailgating at LSU football games, cooking gumbo may not be natural. So, I’ll give the recipe thing a try. But, keep in mind, this is a ruff recipe and improvisation is welcome.
Gumbo pairs very well with Zinfandel–especially our 2007 and 2008 Estate Zinfandel!
Chicken breast and thighs (preferably with bone in)
Good smoked sausage or Cajun andouille
Seasonings (onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, garlic, celery, or whatever you have)
Chicken stock and/or water (bone-in chicken will make its own stock)
Okra (frozen okra works fine)
Filé (if you can find it; if not, that’s ok—Google Gumbo Filé)
Red pepper, black pepper and salt to taste
How to: In a large pan, brown your chicken and sausage in a little oil or butter (brown a few pieces at a time). Season chicken with salt and pepper as you go. After removing chicken and sausage, fry vegetable seasonings until tender. Combine chicken, sausage and seasonings in large pot and cover with chicken stock and/or water and cook over medium heat. Add bay leaves.
In a separate pot, combine equal parts flour and butter. Make the roux by stirring butter and flour mixture over medium heat (stir constantly!) until the roux is the color of a dirty penny.
Add roux to the pot (until color is dark brown) and cook the gumbo until chicken is tender (about 2 hours). Season with salt and pepper to taste and add okra about half way through. (If using bone-in chicken, remove whole piece after they are tender, let cool and remove bones).
Right before serving, add filé (do not boil filé).
Serve over rice with sweet potato or potato salad and garlic bread on the side (Louisianans love to triple starch).
Enjoy with a glass of Montelena Zinfandel!
Me serving gumbo at the industry night.
While coming to Napa Valley has always been about the wine, top flight chefs are now finding their new home in “The Valley.” Among my faves: SolBar at Solage – Chef Brandon Sharp is a magician in the kitchen and it isn’t too expensive; Cindy’s comfort food at Cindy’s BackStreet Kitchen – don’t miss the duck burger and, not to mention, they have the best fries I’ve had since venturing over the Pond; Cook; Market; oh, and there’s Palisades Deli in Calistoga – where all of our staff goes for lunch! And I haven’t even touched on those in the city of Napa…till next time.
Many are very “corkage” friendly.” Call ahead…
SuperBowl weekend brings many things to the forefront of our lives: a great sporting event, fun finger foods, parties with friends and family and, of course, the newest commercials. Normally, we fast-forward through the commercials to get back to our regularly-scheduled programming, but the SuperBowl is different – the commercials are part of the main event! So this year, while enjoying unseasonably warm February weather (80 degrees!?), we sipped some Chateau Montelena Sauvignon Blanc with our spicy chicken wings (an unusual but tasty pairing!) and soaked up the best commercials from the 2011 SuperBowl. Our favorites, in no particular order:
What was your favorite commercial of SuperBowl 2011? And did you discover any unique food/wine pairings? We like those too.
Protected: Pair Up With the Chateau Montelena Family: Our First CellarMaster Member’s Recipe Challenge!
CHATEAU MONTELENA RECIPE CHALLENGE 2012
RECIPE CHALLENGE RULES
1. Eligibility. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE ODDS OF WINNING. RECIPE CHALLENGE OPEN ONLY TO RESIDENTS OF THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (COLLECTIVELY, THE “U.S.”) WHO ARE AGE 21 OR OLDER as of January 16, 2012. IF YOU ARE NOT A RESIDENT OF THE U.S., YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN A PRIZE, AND CHATEAU MONTELENA (“CHATEAU MONTELENA”) RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO AWARD PRIZES TO ENTRANTS WHO RESIDE IN OTHER JURISDICTIONS. To be eligible to win a prize, entries must be completed and received by CHATEAU MONTELENA in the format designated below. CHATEAU MONTELENA, all participating staff and any of their affiliates, directors, officers, professional advisors, judges, advertising and promotional agencies, employees and agencies (collectively, the “Participating Entities”), and immediate families of each are not eligible to win any prizes. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Offer void where prohibited or restricted by law. Limit one entry per category (as defined below) per person. If an entrant submits multiple entries that contain the same or substantially similar recipe, as determined by CHATEAU MONTELENA in its sole discretion, only the first such entry received by CHATEAU MONTELENA may be eligible to win a prize. No mechanically or electronically reproduced entries will be accepted.
2. Disclaimer. The Participating Entities will not be responsible for: (a) any late, lost, misrouted, garbled or distorted or damaged transmissions or entries; (b) telephone, electronic, hardware, software, network, Internet, or other computer- or communications-related malfunctions or failures; (c) any Recipe Challenge disruptions, injuries, losses or damages caused by events beyond the control of CHATEAU MONTELENA; or (d) any printing or typographical errors in any materials associated with the Recipe Challenge.
3. Entry Period. The entry period will be from 12:00 a.m. GMT Time, January 16, 2012 until 11:59 p.m. GMT Time, March 16, 2012 (the “Deadline”). All entries must be received by the Deadline to be eligible to win a prize.
(a) Grand Prize: One (1) Grand Prize winner will be selected from the four Category winners. In addition to the Category award (see “b”, below), the Grand Prize winner will receive two invitations to our Annual Bacchanal, the Moveable Feast, to be held May 19, 2012.
(b) Category Prize: Four (4) Category Prize winners will each receive an invitation to a CELLARMASTER Private Tasting, Catered Picnic Lunch and Winery Tour, inclusive, at CHATEAU MONTELENA for up to four people. Private Tasting, Catered Picnic Lunch and Winery Tour will be awarded for one day by prior appointment on a space-available basis, during the period commencing April 15, 2012 and ending December 30, 2012. All Private Tasting, Catered Picnic Lunch and Winery Tour attendees and their guests must be age 21 or older at the time of the visit.
Odds of winning a prize depend on number of eligible entries received and the quality of the entries received, as judged pursuant to these Official Rules. ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL TAXES ASSOCIATED WITH THE RECEIPT OR USE OF ANY PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER.
All prizes will be awarded. Each prize award returned as undeliverable or otherwise not claimed within seven (7) days after first attempted delivery will be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Prizes are not transferable. No substitutions or exchanges (including for cash) of any prizes will be permitted, except that CHATEAU MONTELENA reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Limit one prize per household or address. The prizes are awarded “AS IS” and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, express or implied, (including, without limitation, any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose).
In the event of a dispute about the identity of the entrant, entries made online will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. An authorized account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization (e.g. business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. The potential winner may be required to provide CHATEAU MONTELENA with proof that the potential winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry.
5. How to Enter.
To enter, go to http://www.montelena.com/news/?p=3360 and complete a Recipe Recipe Challenge Entry Form. All required fields, marked ‘*’ must be entered completely to be considered.
By entering the Recipe Challenge, you consent to being placed on a mailing list for promotional and other purposes.
You may type your recipe and personal information (please refer to submission form for details to include) and mail to:
Attn: Recipe Challenge
1429 Tubbs Lane
Calistoga, California, 94515
6. Recipe Challenge Rules.
Create your own original recipe (an “Original Recipe”) in one of the four (4) following categories: “Appetizers”, “Salads or Sides”, “Main Courses”, and “Sweet Endings”. Submit your Original Recipe according to the instructions described above. Each Original Recipe must: (a) be your own original creation, and not based on any other published recipe, (b) include a list of all required ingredients in specific, common U.S. household measurement units, step-by-step preparation instructions, and cooking times, (c) involve only ingredients commonly available at retail grocery stores or farmer’s markets, and (d) not have won a prize in any other Recipe Challenge.
After the Deadline, a panel of judges selected by CHATEAU MONTELENA (the ‘Judges’) shall select one (1) Original Recipe from each Category that the Judges, in their sole discretion, determine to be the most apt, original and interesting Original Recipe for that Category (each, a ‘Finalist Recipe’). CHATEAU MONTELENA will notify the entrants who submitted the Finalist Recipes (each, a “Potential Winner”) that they been selected to receive a Category Prize. Each Potential Winner will be notified by telephone or e-mail. To be eligible to win a prize, each Potential Winner must respond within seven (7) business days of the first attempted notification following the instructions contained in the notification. Upon CHATEAU MONTELENA’s timely verification of the Potential Winners’ eligibility and receipt of completed affidavits, releases and publicity releases (as explained below), each Potential Winner shall be deemed a “Finalist.” In the event a Potential Winner fails to timely respond to CHATEAU MONTELENA’s attempted notifications, fails to timely submit completed affidavits, releases and publicity releases, or otherwise is determined by CHATEAU MONTELENA to be ineligible to win a prize, the Potential Winner will be disqualified from the Recipe Challenge and CHATEAU MONTELENA will select an alternate eligible entrant and his or her Original Recipe to be a Finalist. Finalists will be publicly announced on or about April 1, 2012.
After Finalists have been selected, the Finalist Recipes, Finalists’ names, and city and state of each Finalist’s residence (collectively, the “Finalist Information”) will be made publicly available by one or more of the Participating Entities, such as through Internet websites, newspaper advertisements, and other methods of distribution, and used for promotional or marketing purposes, including without limitation a public vote on CHATEAU MONTELENA’s Internet website to determine the public’s favorite Finalist Recipe. However, the results of any such voting and other promotions shall not affect any Finalist’s eligibility to win the Grand Prize or entitle any Finalist to any prize or special recognition. Finalist Recipes may be edited for content, clarity, length and/or consistency at CHATEAU MONTELENA’s sole discretion.
The Judges will then evaluate each of the Finalist Recipes on a 100-point scale which the Judges determine to be the most apt, original and interesting according to the following criteria: Visual appeal (0-25 points); Taste of finished recipe (0-25 points); Originality of Recipe (0-25 points); Best interpretation of a Category theme (0-25 points). In the event of a tie, the Judges may select an additional judge to cast a tie-breaking vote. The Finalist who submitted the Finalist Recipe that receives the highest combined number of points shall be deemed the Grand Prize winner. Each Finalist shall be awarded a Category Prize. In addition to receiving a Category Prize, the Grand Prize winner shall also be awarded the Grand Prize. The Grand Prize winner will be announced on or about April 15, 2012.
7. CHATEAU MONTELENA Ownership of Entries. All entries and materials submitted to CHATEAU MONTELENA in connection with the Recipe Challenge (collectively, “Entry Materials”), along with all copyright, trademark and other proprietary rights associated therewith, become the property of CHATEAU MONTELENA upon submission, and Entry Materials will not be returned to any entrant. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you acknowledge that CHATEAU MONTELENA will own all rights to use, modify, reproduce, publish, perform, display, distribute, make derivative works of and otherwise commercially and non-commercially exploit the Entry Materials in perpetuity and throughout the universe, in any manner or medium now existing or hereafter developed, without separate compensation to you or any other person or entity. CHATEAU MONTELENAs use of the entry materials may include but shall not be limited to publication and archived in Chateau Montelena Blog. You agree to take, at CHATEAU MONTELENA’s expense, any further action (including, without limitation, execution of affidavits and other documents) reasonably requested by CHATEAU MONTELENA to effect, perfect or confirm CHATEAU MONTELENA’s ownership rights as set forth above in this paragraph 7.
8. Original Work of Authorship. You hereby warrant and represent that (a) you own all rights to all Entry Materials submitted by you; and (b) all such Entry Materials are original works of authorship on your part and have not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work and do not violate, misappropriate or infringe any copyright, trademark or other proprietary right of any other person or entity.
9. General Release. By entering the Recipe Challenge, you release the CHATEAU MONTELENA and the Participating Entities from any liability whatsoever, and waive any and all causes of action, related to any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Recipe Challenge or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light, whether intentional or unintentional), whether under a theory of contract, tort (including negligence), warranty or other theory.
10. Use of Winner’s Name, Likeness, etc. Except where prohibited by law, entry into the Recipe Challenge constitutes permission to use winners’ name, address, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. As a condition of being awarded any prize, except where prohibited by law, winners may be required to execute and deliver to CHATEAU MONTELENA a consent to the use of their name, address, likeness and/or prize information, without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation.
11. Affidavit & Release. As a condition of being awarded any prize, winners may be required to execute and deliver to CHATEAU MONTELENA a signed affidavit of eligibility and acceptance of these Official Rules and release of liability.
12. Winners List; Rules Request. Rules as stated herein may be downloaded from:
Winners List will be posted at: